One of the challenges we have as pastors today is how to promote community to the congregation
People it seems “don’t have time” to attend home fellowships, pray services, etc
I often wonder if this “excuse” is a valid one since it is the bible that instructs us to live in community
Salvation is God's doing, therefore if we love Him for first loving us we will keep His commandments
• John 14:21 21He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”
• Ephesians 1:2-6 2Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.
• 1 Corinthians 6:20 20For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
• Colossians 1:13-14 13He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
Brothers and sisters what is God's motivation for commanding us to fellowship?
• Mark 12:32-33 32So the scribe said to Him, “Well said, Teacher. You have spoken the truth, for there is one God, and there is no other but He. 33And to love Him with all the heart, with all the understanding, with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love one’s neighbor as oneself, is more than all the whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.”
• John 13:34-35 34A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
• Acts 2:42 42And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
• Romans 12:10 10Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
• Hebrews 10:25 25not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
Here are some reasons why
1 It is not good for man to be alone. God is triune, the Father, Son and Spirit, therefore God is a God of community
2 We are created in God's image and likeness and are therefore created for living in loving community
3 Support – If we are not living in loving community how then can we be ministered to? Another words if I don’t know what you struggle with, how can I use my gifts to support you?
4 Care - If we are not living in loving community how then can we be ministered to? Another words if I don’t know what your needs are, how can I use my gifts to care for you?
5 Accountability - If we are not living in loving community how then can we be ministered to?
Another words if I don’t know what you struggle with, how can I use my gifts to hold you accountable and help you overcome the sin in your life in love?
So, for those of you who “don’t have time” …….. Repent, if you are a Christian you will change your mind and live in loving community by attending a home fellowship, opening up your home to the brethren, and or, signing up for dinner for 8